Pemberton is an area of the town of Wigan, under the Metropoliton Borough of Wigan in Greater Manchester. It is situated on the southwest bank of the River Douglas, neighbouring Wigan town centre nearby the M6 motorway. Pemberton mainly serves as a suburban residential area. The area is served by Pemberton Railway Station.
Pemberton was once a part of County Lancashire and was formelly a township and parish in the Hundred of West Derby. After the Industrial Revolution, Pemberton became heavily populated, as there were many jobs available in the many coal mine, stone quarries, brick manufacturies and cotton mills. The main industry of the area was coal mining, described in 1911 as "unpicturesque, bare and open". The area was amalgamated into the County Borough of Wigan in 1904.
The name 'Pemberton' probably derives from a combination of Celtic and Old English, forming the name, Penn-bere-tun, meaning 'barley hill settlement'. Pemberton's first recorded history is from 1212, documented to have been a thegnage estate, compromising two plough-lands annual rate of 20 shillings payable by the tenant, Alan de Windle, to King John of England.Pemberton Carnegie Library