Mellor is a village in Greater Manchester under the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport. It is situated between Marple Bridge and New Mills and runs along a tributary of the River Goyt. Mellor extends from the old turnpike road (of the boundary of Marple Bridge) to the current boundary of the county of Derbyshire.
The village does not have any shops, but locals travel to Marple Bridge, Marple or other locations. Marple consists of a church, riding school, primary school, sports club and a golf course. Three public houses in Mellor are The Royal Oak, The Oddfellows Arms and the Devonshire Arms. Mill Brow, a nearby hamlet, was once part of the civil parish of Mellor and this is the location of a forth pub, The Hare and Hounds.
In the heart of the village sits a very small park, which has a First World War memorial. Once a thriving farming area, Mellor's agricultural economy has since fallen into decline, so the remaining land is now used for non-agricultural use, such as horse riding, golfing and camping.
Numerous farm buildings date back to the 1600s, as does as Mellor Hall, and these buildings were built on ruins of earlier buildings as a point of the long-standing importance of the farming industry to Mellor. The village was a civil parish within Derbyshire until 1936, to which it was transferred to the Marple Urban District in Cheshire, then in 1974, became part of Greater Manchester.
Cenotaph in Mellor Park, Greater Manchester