Marple is a small town southeast of Stockport and is within the Metropoliton Borough of Stockport in Greater Manchester. The River Goyt runs through the town and was historically part of Cheshire. By the early 1200s, Marple was known as Merpille which probably derives from the words maere and pyll, meaning 'pool' or 'stream near the boundary'.
The history of Marple may stem as for back as several thousand years ago, with clues suggesting that there may have been an early civilisation in the area including Ludworth, where there are several standing stones and plots of burial mounds. An archaeological dig in Mellor confirmed this, revealing many clues of these early residents.
The area was predominantly within the Macclesfield Forest. The earliest record of Marple was in 1122 in a deed of the sale of land, of which was passed on to the Vernons in 1220 and remained in the family for several generations.
Pre-industrial revolution, residents of Marple village worked mostly on small farms, linen weaving or hatting industries. After 1790, Samuel Oldknow completely transformed the lifestyle of the village with the introduction of lime kilns and mills, and thus began the industrial revolution. Thanks to the revolution, the population of Marple began to rise, resulting in the construction of terraces to house the workers from the mills, forming a village filled with business.The Marple Bridge over the River Goyt