Pendlebury is a suburban town in the City of Salford in Greater Manchester. Once a part of Lancashire, Pendlebury merged with several neighbouring areas, Swinton and Clifton to form the municipal borough of Swinton and Pendlebury. The area existed as a centre for coal mining for many years and saw extraction of coal from many pits up until the 1990s, with the closure of Agecroft Colliery.
The name derives from the Celtic words 'pen', meaning 'hill' and burh', meaning 'settlement'. In 1199, King John confirmed the land of 'Peneberi' to Ellis, son of Robert. The king had granted this land when he was Earl of Mortain (1189-1199), confirming the grant when he became king in a deed signed at Le Mans, France. This signing was witnessed by the Archbishop of York, the Bishops of Sarum and St. Andrews, the Earl of Leicester, the Archdeacon of Well and other gentry.
Pendlebury merged with Swinton in 1875, forming a local board of health, later to be governed by the Swinton and Pendlebury District Council. Due to the abolition of the former council, Barton-upon-Irwell Urban District, Clifton was also incorporated.Church of St. Augustine, Pendlebury