Barton upon Irwell (also known as Barton on Irwell or Barton) is a suburban area of Eccles, Greater Manchester, England.
The area lies about 5.5 miles southwest of Manchester on both banks of the River Irwell from Trafford Park to Davyhulme. Barton Bridge crosses the two sides.
Barton Old Hall, a brick-built house, was the seat of the Barton, Booth and Leigh families.
Barton Aerodrome was opened in 1930. Scheduled internal flights operated in 1930 and against from 1934-38. By 1938 however, these flights were transferred to the larger Ringway Airport. A number of charter airlines and flying clubs were still based at the airport up to the start of the war.
During the Second World War over 700 aircraft were built by F. Hills & Son and over 1,100 military aircraft were repaired by several firms. In 1946, the Lancashire Aero Club, founded in 1924 and the oldest flying club in the UK, moved to Barton from Woodford Aerodrome, Cheshire. Barton is now a thriving general aviation airfield and is home to over 50 private and club aircraft.Barton Bridge, Barton upon Irwell