Openshaw is a ward of Manchester, Greater Manchester, approximately two miles east from the city centre. Openshaw was once a part of Lancashire and was incorporated into Manchester in the late 1800s.
The name 'Openshaw' derives from its Old English version, Opinschawe, meaning 'an open wood' or 'coppice'. Openshaw is currently undergoing extensive redevelopment under the East Manchester Regeneration Scheme.
During the Industrial Revolution, Openshaw was a heavily industrial area with most of its residents either working in the many littered factories or the Bradford mine. It is not surprising that at this time, Socialism and Trades Unionism considered Openshaw as an opportunity and formed the Openshaw Socialists. In 1936, Annie Lee went to become Manchester's first socilaist woman alderman.
At the end of the First World War, the ordnance works closed down, and as a result, so later did the railway yards, leaving the population of Openshaw only a fraction of the size of what it once was.