Blackrod is a settlement and civil parish of the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England. It is 3.9 miles north-northeast of Wigan and 6.6 miles west of Bolton.
The Name Blackrod derives from the Old English, blaec and rodu, meaning a "dark clearing". The first mention of the town dates back to 1189, when it was recorded at Blacherode.
Blackrod is situated on hilly ground near the River Douglas, and covers 2,344 acres.
After the Industrial Revolution, the main industry of the town was coal mining. Sadly it was closed in 1932.
The earliest mention of a chapel in Blackrod was in 1338 when Dame Mabel de Bradshagh endowed a chantry priest to say divine service and mass in the chapel of St Catherine. The present church, dedicated to St Katharine of Alexandria is of Norman design, but Elizabethan work can still be seen.
The main road through Blackrod is the A6, which bypasses the town centre. Blackrod railway station was opened in 1841 and is on the Manchester to Preston line.St Katharine's church, Blackrod