Marble Arch is a white Carrara marble monument that now stands on a large traffic island at the junction of Oxford Street, Park Lane and Edgware Road, almost directly opposite Speakers Corner in Hyde Park, London.
The arch was designed in 1825 by John Nash as a ceremonial entrance to the courtyard of the new Buckingham Palace, which he was then rebuilding from the old Buckingham House.
The design of the arch is based on that of the Arch of Constantine in Rome and the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
Construction of Marble Arch began in 1827, but was cut short in 1830 due to rising costs. Work restarted in 1832, but without the planned attic stage and it's sculpture, including the statue of George IV. Marble Arch was finally completed in 1833.
The marble soon lost its whiteness due to the polluted London atmosphere.
Marble Arch was dismantled in 1850 when the new east range of Buckingham Palace was constructed. It was rebuilt as a ceremonial entrance to the northeast corner of Hyde Park. It was completed in 1851.
It has been speculated it may be moved again, across the street to Hyde Park, or to a more accessible location, rather than its current position on a traffic island.
The Central Line is Marble Arch's nearest London Underground tube station.Marble Arch, London